I would be lying if I said that the last week has been wonderful. It actually hasn't. I think the initial excitement and anticipation has been replaced by worry, stress and the reality that this process is going to be much harder than I thought.
I just ate an entire bag of mini-chocolate donuts.
I'm realizing that the process of adoption is like riding a roller-coaster without being buckled in. You are clinging on for dear life and hoping that you can hold on long enough for the ride to come to a stop. Today, I felt like I might lose my grip.
Besides the intense paper-chase and long list of requirements to fulfill, this process is emotionally draining. I feel like my heart is on the outside of my chest and I need to work extra hard to protect it. So much of this is completely out of our control. I'm working on learning to trust the process and hand the rest over to The One who is ultimately in charge.
It seems sleep for me is a thing of the past. I can usually fall asleep, but if I wake up in the middle of the night and let my mind start going, I can never fall back asleep. This is a recurring cycle that is really starting to take a toll on me. The other night, I woke up like usual, at 2am. I decided that I would come downstairs and do some work on the computer. I checked my email and saw that I had a message from my sister, Amanda. She sent me a picture that she had received from her Seattle friend who was recently at the orphanage in Ethiopia picking up her baby she's adopting. She is the same friend who hand delivered the two scrapbooks to Amanda's kids in the same orphanage a couple weeks ago. She's the one who took THE picture (see first post). The one that started this whole thing. Well, a few days ago this friend sent another picture to Amanda that she had taken that same day.
It was a picture of Amanda's girl Hana and our girl Nyah, with their arms around each other. I bawled. Turns out, our girls are really good friends.
And they have no idea. No idea that they are going to be cousins. No idea that they will forever be tied through the bonds of family and that their friendship will continue beyond the walls of that orphanage. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't the prayers of Amanda's Hana for her sweet little friend that has brought us to this point.
I can't help but wonder what would be different if my sister hadn't sent me THAT picture 17 days ago and if our sweet girl hadn't been looking right at the camera. So many things had to happen just right. I like to think that things still would have played out the same way. But, they really might not have.
Tonight for FHE, Ren and Kennedy taught a lesson on the bible story David and Goliath. We talked about how we have many "Goliath's" in our life. We are faced with them through trials and temptations. We are taught that we can conquer them through faith and with the Lord's help.
I have realized over the last few days that we are faced with many Goliath's in regard to this adoption process. One of the biggest obstacles we are facing is the enormous expense. I really had no idea going into this how insanely expensive this would be. I won't impose my political and social economic views on you right now, but just say that it's all just very frustrating. There isn't a single step in this process that doesn't have some sort of fee attached to it. In order to get further in the process, we are required to come up with a substantial amount of money that no average, middle-class-American household would have sitting in their bank account.
I refuse to throw my hands up in the air and give up on something I feel passionate about because we don't have the funds to make it happen. I am blessed to have a man by my side who assures me that miracles do happen and that we will find a way.
I've been mulling over this and after thinking long and hard about it, I've decided to organize a few different fundraisers. Initially, this was something I would never have considered. I thought, this is OUR decision and I would never want to rope any of our friends and family into participating in an annoying fundraiser. I wouldn't want to make them feel guilty or feel obligated to give to our cause. Then, I realized (after talking to friends and family) that there are people who WANT to help. If only in just the smallest of ways. What better way to be a part of our adoption process, then knowing that you directly or indirectly contributed to the bringing home of two sweet children from Ethiopia who may never have had a chance before. What a blessing!
A few different projects are in the works and I'm hoping I can get the details of them up tomorrow or Wednesday. So, check back in a couple days and we'll share what we're thinking. We would love feedback!
Tried to comment earlier, but it wouldn't work. I feel bad it's been stressful for you and harder than you expected! I really do understand the difficult things you are going through in regards to all the paperwork and the stress of all those things out of your control. I know that so far Steve and I have been very lucky to be able to pay for all of our expenses with the exception of $2000 so generously given to us. And even though we have been able to pay for most of our adoptions with our savings, it's still stressful to see all that money go. So I can only imagine how much more stressful it must be to not have all that money on hand. I'm sorry! We will do whatever we can to help. Love you so so so much!
ReplyDeleteI sure wish I was there to help you with your fundraising...I would bake up a storm for you! We had a dessert auction for our young women last year, and raised over $2,000 in just a few hours. Can you imagine what we could do in a week? My thoughts and prayers are with both of you gals, and just remember, however hard it is now, it will just be that much better when they get here. Remember, He never said it would be easy, He only said it would be worth it. Love, Jeanna
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of your tenacity. You do whatever it takes to bring these sweet children home. We are behind you 100% and will do what we are able to help. I know the Lord's spirit will be with you. Dig in your teeth and don't let go!
ReplyDeleteEmily-We are behind you all the way I am excited to buy some crocheted flower clips! Our prayers are with you all!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry that this is taking such a toll on you! Just know that I'm here whenever you need anything! Thanks for being such an awesome frousin! Hang in there and I'll keep ya in my prayers! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteEmily! This made me choke up. Beautiful! And I want to help. I am so blessed by you. We want to adopt from Africa too! Thank you for sharing your journey! Amy Wood
ReplyDelete