Monday, January 10, 2011

Ours.

(By Sarah-age 9)

Remember me writing about THE picture?  The one that started this whole thing?  The one that my sister texted me a few weeks ago?  She was really excited that another adoptive mother who was at the orphanage picking up her baby boy was able to sneak a picture and send it to her.  She got to see her Ethiopian kids looking at the scrapbooks she had made for them with pictures of their soon-to-be siblings, parents and home.  

After looking at THE picture, I was overwhelmed by the feelings that suddenly consumed me.  Never before had I felt that way.  

It was her.  It was her smile.  Her beautiful brown eyes, staring straight at the camera.  It was as if she was saying, "Look at me!  I'm here and I want a forever family too!"  

It was over.  I would never be the same.  It was the face of a little girl that spoke directly to my heart and changed me forever.

There was nothing anybody could say to me that could convince me that she was not already mine, in my heart.  She was ours.

It wasn't long before we found out more about the little girl with the beautiful smile.  We would soon find out that she had an adorable little brother.  You see, it wasn't just about her anymore.  It was now about them.  And us.

There are stories to tell and things to share but that will have to wait.  For now, we just want to devote our energy into bringing them home.  We are witnessing small miracles every day.  The love and generosity of our friends and family has been overwhelming and humbling. We are so grateful for the donations and support with the fundraiser our girls are doing.  It means more than you'll ever know.  We have raised more than half the funds necessary to begin our home study.  What a blessing!

We are hoping to kick off our t-shirt fundraiser in the next few days.  We think you'll love the t-shirts we've chosen.  Please know that we don't want anybody to feel pressured or obligated to participate.  The last thing we want is for anyone to feel guilty.  We'll love you just the same!  Promise.  

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful thing. I am so excited to see pictures and see how things develop. Gosh, what an amazing journey! there was a family who adopted two ethiopian kids at the school I taught at in Provo. Beautiful family, very well adjusted and happy kids. We also have a family here in our ward who adopted two sets of siblings -- one set from china, the other from korea and another boy with very very special needs. They are an amazing family.

    This is all so exciting! My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I want to buys some clips but I dont want to set up a paypal account. Are you going to Sonshine on Wednesday? I could just buy them from you then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That drawing is really good! Wow! Just like the real photo. Cant wait to see the shirts. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you, can't wait to see the t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete