Sunday, January 30, 2011

Big Day

Today was a very exciting day for my sister and brother-in-law.  It was a day that they have anxiously been awaiting for quite some time.  Today was the day they met their sweet Ethiopian children.

It was also the day they met ours.

I have been almost useless the past couple days as I am consumed by emotions that I have never experienced before.  I set my alarm on my phone for 1:30 this morning because I knew that was about the time Steve and Amanda would be arriving at the orphanage.  I closed my eyes and tried to picture what that moment would be like for them.  Tears rolled down my cheeks as I thought about how amazing that must be for them to finally get to hold their children in their arms.  I tried to visualize their reaction and wished so badly that I could be there to witness it.

I spent most of the day just waiting for any word from my sister.  Internet and cell phone coverage is spotty and unreliable, so I didn't know when or if I would hear from her today. 

I was sitting in church and decided to check my phone to see if I had a message from Amanda when I got this email: 

Emily!
Today was amazing!!!!!  The best 3 hours.  I can't wait to go back tomorrow. I can't wait to talk to you about all the details. I got photos and a little video of your kids. I hugged and kissed on them a bunch.  I showed them your family picture and told Nyah over and over "That is
your family."  And I don't know if she understood fully, but she kept responding by saying "Yes!" But with the tone of "Yes, I'll take them!" Lots of enthusiasm.  I got video of almost the entire orphanage and grounds.  The whole thing was just amazing.
~Amanda

I'm sure people were wondering why I burst into tears in the middle of the meeting but I really didn't care.  I could hardly contain myself.  I wasn't at all prepared to hear that my sister had actually talked to our kids and told them about us.  I couldn't believe it! 

I'll be honest and admit that I have felt discouraged and helpless.  I have never once second guessed our decision but have definitely second guessed my capabilities.  But, after today, I can say that my faith has been restored.  

4 comments:

  1. That is so AWESOME! Wish I could've been there. I can't wait to hear all about it and see all the pics and stuff. So excited for ya! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww that is so sweet and so amazing! I'm so excited for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool experience! Emily, you're a pretty amazing mom and I'm touched by your adoption experience so far. Seriously, I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am amazed at your story and how you came to know these kids are meant for you! Every time I read your blog, I am in tears and think what you are doing is so wonderful and I admire you for your strength and determination! I would love to help with shoes(on your sisters blog) or clothes, or in any way I can.

    ReplyDelete