Today is Christmas in Ethiopia.
Christmas is a major holiday in Ethiopia. More than half of the population of Ethiopia is Orthodox Christian. Ethiopia has its own calendar and time system, totally unique from any other country. 7AM is 1AM, the year 2011 is currently 2003 and there are thirteen months in the year.
Strange, huh?
The kids were actually the ones that informed me of this before they left for school today. They have spent a lot of time researching Ethiopia and trying to learn interesting facts. They were all really excited and wanted to know what we could do to celebrate.
I've done some research on the traditional Ethiopian Christmas celebration and I think it would be a little difficult to immitate. :) Instead, we'll write letters to the kids (to give to them as soon as we are allowed) and talk about some of the cultural traditions in Ethiopia. We definitely won't be making or eating any Ethiopian food tonight. That will have to wait...
I wonder what the orphanage nannies did to make the day special for the children? Did they receive any kind of special treat or small gift?
Our hope and prayer is that we will be celebrating this day next year with our two beautiful Ethiopian children. It will be a wonderful celebration indeed!
Melkin Yelidet Beaal (Merry Christmas), Nyah and Nathaniel!
Emily, I'm just so excited. I keep coming back and checking this blog even when I know there's nothing new, because, well, I'm just so darn excited. How neat to learn a little bit about the traditions in Ethiopia. Ethiopian food looks... different :) Alright, I'm off to start working on my letter...
ReplyDeleteMy husband is from Ethiopia and I lived there for 9 months. WE had a NICE BIG old Ethiopian dinner and called there to say hi! I think its great you are trying to incorporate parts of the culture into your family.
ReplyDeleteYou sister in law or someone let me on to your site, and I will put you on my link list and post about your fundraiser! Good luck!
There is so much to love about Ethiopia and the culture!
- the MRS.
oops I'm in my other google account!
ReplyDeleteour blog can be found here:
http://www.singlegirlinethiopia.com/