I really don't want to forget.
It's hard to believe that we are about to enter month 3 of this process. Where has the time gone? I've heard people refer to the adoption process as being "paper pregnant." I think that is the perfect reference. I went through the beginning of the "pregnancy" feeling excited and ready for things to progress quickly so that I could enjoy the end result. Then, the morning sickness kicks in. The reality of the pregnancy has fully sunk in and I'm realizing that it's going to be a while before I will find relief and be able to reap the rewards of my hard work and suffering. I know that it'll be worth it in the end but it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Although the end result is almost certain, there are no guarantees. There is always the chance of heartbreak and things may not go as planned.
But, that's just the way life is.
The reality is that we ARE moving forward. Things ARE progressing. They may not be moving as quickly as I had hoped but that is just how these sort of things go. It's hard when we are completely dependent on so many other people and have no control over how quickly they complete their part of the process. The One who is ultimately in control is holding up His part of the bargain and that is what matters the most.
We have had quite a few amazing experiences along the way. Miracles are happening and we are continuously reassured that we are doing what we are supposed to be doing. Because we are at peace with our decision and because we know that it will all work out the way it is meant to, we aren't too worried. That doesn't mean we haven't felt discouraged at helpless at times but those feelings are short lived.
The biggest miracle came about a week ago when a large portion of our adoption expenses was taken care of. This was huge. We had reached a point in the process where we could no longer move forward if we couldn't come up with a large amount of money. We pleaded with the Lord to help provide a way and although we knew that a way would be provided, we couldn't imagine what it would be. Or when it would be.
Again, I am reassured. And humbled.
We've experienced a few set backs as some of the adoption laws and foreign policies have changed but we are optimistic. Our home study is SO close to being finished. That is a huge hurdle to cross and there will be some major celebrating when we finally have it in our hands. One of the major hold ups in the process is a document that has to be filed with the Department of Homeland Security. This takes forever. Sometimes many months. This can't be filed without our complete home study so the longer that takes, the longer this process is delayed from starting. Another frustrating thing is that we aren't able to be assigned a court date in Ethiopia until that file is approved. Lots of waiting and lots of uncertainty but we signed up for it and are 100% committed to seeing it through to the end.
In the meantime, Amanda and Steve should receive notice any day that they can go to Ethiopia and bring their children home. I want to go too. Bad. If we get our referral in the very near future I might seriously consider it. How cool would that be?
Just to let you know I read your blog too...sometimes days later, but I do and love it! Hang in there and know you have my support!
ReplyDeleteI am sure there are a lot that follow your blogs! I am one of them!! You guys are amazing!! We love you!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are so glad that things are moving forward. Your righteious desires will be met because of your faith.
ReplyDeleteSee. You know I'm not the only reader here. Love your posts. Love you. You'll make it through. It's tough stuff for sure, but it will be a distant memory some day.
ReplyDeleteI am also reading your blog Emily, and though I am not adopting children I am going through other things in my life where I find myself waiting for a light at the end of the tunnel. It's a long process and I don't think you realize it when you first jump into it because you are so excited and focused on the end result but after a while it really sinks in that it takes a lot more time than anticipated and much more work and patience. You will make it Hang in there. Time goes by faster than we realize and in the end it will have all been worth the wait, effort, and sacrifice.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad things are falling into place. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteMe me me! I read this blog and I LOVE seeing a new entry in my reader. Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated, really. I feel like I've been out of touch, I need to call you. In the meantime, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the process.
ReplyDelete