Thursday, February 17, 2011

Highs and Lows


I can think of about 4 significant events in my life that literally changed me.  I'm not talking about giving birth to any of my children, or marrying my husband.  Those were definitely life changing events and ones that have been the source of true joy and fulfillment. But what I'm talking about is the kind of experience that not only changed my everyday life, outlook and vision but my very soul. 

I can now add this adoption process to that list.

I know I've said this many times before but I'm going to say it again.  I am almost positive that we would never have began this adoption process had it not been for my sister Amanda.  It just would not have even entered my mind or been something that I thought we should or could do.  So, in a real way, my sister has changed me.

Amanda and Steve recently returned from Ethiopia where they met their children (and ours) for the first time.  Amanda took the picture (above) and it really struck me.  She put it perfectly when she said, "Our trip to Ethiopia was life altering. There were so many things we saw and felt while we were there, that we will never be the same again. This child's handprint on the wall in our children's orphanage reminds me of what I felt Ethiopia did to my heart. It left something there, something permanent. It's not necessarily pretty, but it's there and there for good."

I love my sister.  I appreciate so much her goodness and deep compassion for those less fortunate.  She has an extraordinary soul and is one of the most Christ-like people I know.  I can say the same thing about her husband Steve.  They have both done so much for me.  More than they probably even realize.  Being able to share their adoption journey and see things that we will soon be experiencing has been a real blessing.  We have always been close but the last 7 weeks has definitely deepened our bond and strenghthened our relationship. 

I have experienced emotions in the last 7 weeks that I didn't even think I was capable of.  And to think that it's really just the beginning.  I have had the opportunity to see the goodness, compassion and love of those around me.  Unfortunately, I've also seen a little of the opposite.  But, that is just how life is.  It's what makes us stronger and wiser. 

Amanda and Steve were lucky enough to be in Ethiopia at the same time as another adoptive couple who happen to be amazing photographers.  We got some beautiful pictures of our children that I will treasure forever.  Thank you Nina! The picture above is of some of the children at the orphanage looking at the gifts I had sent with Amanda.  Our Nyah is the one in the middle with the red shirt and grey pants.  I look at pictures of our children holding the same books that I held in my hands just a few weeks ago and all of a sudden the world seems so small.

Amanda sent me quite a bit of video footage she took while she was in Addis.  I was able to see our children sing and dance.  I got to see the beds they sleep in and the food they eat.  I got to see their personalities and I am just in awe and in love.  In a way it has made this whole grueling process a little more bearable and in other ways it has made it more difficult.  Cause I want them here.  We want them here.

There's so much more I want to write about and things I want to document, but I'll leave it at this for now.

2 comments:

  1. You gotta stop giving us so much credit. Those kids were meant to be a part of your family & if it hadnt have been us to give you the idea, it would have been someone else for sure.
    Love you so much and appreciate all the support you have given me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all sounds worth it! Keep the updates coming

    ReplyDelete