Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The beginning

Those who are close to us are aware that my sister and brother-in-law (Amanda and Steve) are in the process of adopting two children from Ethiopia.  I won't go into detail about their process because I don't have all day and because it's a long story that I'm sure I will mess up.  I will say that it is because of them, some interesting twists of fate and definitely some divine intervention that we have decided to take the leap.

We have begun the process of adopting from Ethiopia.  From the same orphanage where my niece and nephew currently are.

Deep breath.

Here's how it started (condensed version):
About a year or so ago, my sister announced that her family would be adopting a little boy from Ethiopia.  I was really excited for her and so impressed that she would be willing to take on such an enormous responsibility.  They got some mixed reactions from people but moved forward with what they felt was the right decision for their family.  I have followed their journey but never considered it anything that MY family would ever do.  The idea honestly just never even appealed to me.

Remember, we have SIX kids and my "shop" is closed.

Over the summer while Amanda was here visiting, we went to Atlanta so Amanda could visit the adoption agency she was working with.  While she was there, she received information and pictures of the boy they would be adopting.  I was so excited for her and really glad I was able to share a little bit of that process with her.  Still, it wasn't anything I ever considered doing myself. 

Not even on my radar.

Fast forward a few months.  After some difficult trials and a life changing event, Amanda and Steve decide that they will also adopt a girl from the same orphanage.  The process moves forward and they are now only a few months away from bringing their children home.

Last week two scrapbooks/photo albums were hand delivered to the orphanage for Amanda and Steve's kids.  It was delivered by a woman from Seattle that Amanda has been acquainted with.  She was going to the orphanage to pick up her baby boy she was adopting and agreed to give it to the caregiver to show the kids.  It had pictures of Amanda and Steve's kids, their house, their new bedrooms, school...information about their soon-to-be siblings etc.  It was translated into their language so they could understand it. 

While they were being shown one of the books, the lady from Seattle snapped a picture.  There were other kids gathered around watching as my niece and nephew looked at the book.  Amanda sent me the picture that she received.  You can see her kids looking as the caregiver shows them the book.  Some of the other children are gathered around watching eagerly and are mesmerized by what they are seeing.  Nobody is actually looking at the camera.

Except one little girl.

A beautiful little girl with a huge smile on her face is looking right at the camera.  I couldn't stop staring at her face.

I couldn't get her out of my mind.  For days.  I went about my business and tried hard to brush the feelings I was having aside. 

But I couldn't.

I had to know.  I needed to know. Who was she?  What was her story? 

I asked Amanda if she thought there was any way I could find out about that little girl.  She was blunt with me and told me that it could be very difficult to get information about her.  Especially because the picture wasn't supposed to be taken and so I couldn't inquire about her based on seeing the picture.  Amanda said she would try to get in touch with the lady from Seattle (who snapped the picture) and see if she knew anything.

She did.

There was a website that had her listed under their "Waiting Child" program.  It was a miracle.  I couldn't believe it.  Pieces of the puzzle began to come together and it quickly became clear that a higher power is most definitely in charge.  There was little information about the little girl but enough to know that she was healthy, happy and ready for a forever family. 

And she has a little brother.

To say that our lives have been turned upside down would be an understatement.  We are a bit overwhelmed by the excruciating adoption process and the reality that we are going to be parents to EIGHT.  Nevermind the insane financial strain.

But, there is a God.  He is aware of us and is the ultimate Orchestrator.  All things are possible through Him.

I won't go into any more details here, mostly because there aren't very many right now.  We will use this blog as a way of updating family and friends on the adoption process.  As soon as I get the ok to post pictures, I'll do that too.

I'm well aware that there are going to be those who judge us, treat us like we're nuts, and say things either to our face or behind our back that are unkind or negative.  That's okay. I would never suggest that what we are doing is for everybody.  I just know that Rob and I are not going into this with blinders on.  We are prepared to face whatever challenges are ahead of us--even if some of those challenges involve people being unkind.  We find peace in knowing that we are doing what we feel good about and what we feel guided to do.  

We appreciate all the support we are receiving and know that we would have a difficult time making it through this process if it weren't for the love and support of our friends and family.

Thank you.

14 comments:

  1. I guess I get to be the first to comment here. I love your blog a lot. I love what you are doing. I am so extremely happy for your family. I love you guys all so very very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are proud of you for your Christ-like love for these children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing opportunity to bring children to a forever family. You are the family to be able to do it for sure! Your post made me almost cry. You have such a sweet family, Emily. I know these children will be so blessed to have such a wonderful home. Best of luck for the road ahead. You will do great!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY COW???? I had no idea. Emily this is so awesome! I'm so very excited for you and I think you and Rob will be wonderful parents to this special little girl....and her sibling. I can't wait to hear the updates! love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOWZERS!!! That is awesome! I know that you can do it. You are an amazing mother and will definitely give these children a wonderful life! I'm so excited for you. If you need anything...even just to talk...I'm here for ya! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are my hero Emily! You and Rob are absolutely amazing! I am super excited for you and your family. You never cease to amaze me... What incredibly lucky children!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on such an amazing adventure you have decided to take! I am so impressed with your love for your family, to do whatever is the most important for them, regardless of what the rest of the world is doing. I am 3rd of nine children and I know every line about why people think it is crazy to have a big family, but I wouldn't trade it for anything, I love my siblings for all their differences! Even before seeing the picture from Sarah and her obvious love and excitement, I can imagine these kids being surrounded with love from your amazing family. So excited to watch your journey online!! we sure miss you guys out here! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting! What lucky kids to be able to come into such a wonderful family. Good luck with everything. I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, it will finally let me comment!! I am so excited for you guys. You are such an inspiration! I admire you guys so much! You guys will do amazing! Those two are going to be so loved!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I just saw this and I think it's amazing. I'm excited for you guys!! Those kids are incredibly blessed to get you guys as parents and to become part of such an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, these kids are so lucky to be already loved by such a beautiful...inside and out....mom! You are such an amazing example to us and we love you and your family so much! Hugs to your sweet kids and husband and hopefully it won't be too long before we see you again. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im happy for you guys. What an amazing opportunity for both you and those children. I know the Lord will be with you every step of the way. Adoption is something Ive thought a lot about and so I look forward to seeing how things go for you all.I know you will do a wonderful job! Good luck friend!
    (Laura)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so exciting! I'll look forward to reading your updates. I hope it all goes smoothly. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Emily! I am crying now! Your daughter looking straight at the camera and smiling at you to let you know she is waiting for you...too amazing and beautiful. You are amazing, your family is amazing and God is amazing.

    ReplyDelete