Friday, June 10, 2011

Updates

We often get asked how our adoption case is coming along.  I never really know how to answer this question.  It's hard to explain the process to someone who hasn't been through it before.  There are so many unknowns and trying to explain the paper chase to people is just too much work.  Plus, there is terminology that only someone who is familiar with international adoption would understand.  So, my usual answer is, "It's coming along.  Just lots of waiting."  The frustrating thing about international adoption is that there are no guarantees, predictable time-lines or sure-fire ways to gauge progress.  It's hard.  I'm learning how to just have faith in the process and trust those that are in control.  

With all that said, we have been seeing remarkable progress.  We are optimistic.  

Cautiously.

Our dossier is on it's way to Ethiopia!  It should arrive there in a couple of days and then will take a couple of weeks to be translated and authenticated.  After that is done, it will will be sent to the courts for processing and we will be assigned a court-date.  We are hoping and praying that we are assigned a court-date sometime in July but it would be a miracle if that were to happen.  The courts close the first part of August for rainy season and won't re-open until late September or October (I believe).  

So, more waiting.  The good news is that the paper-chase is hopefully over.  It's completely out of our hands now.  Literally.

Once we accepted our official referral for the children we began receiving monthly updates on the children with pictures.  I look forward to getting those updates each month and only wish they were lengthier and more detailed.  It's fun to see what milestones they have reached and see updated photos of them.  

As mentioned in my last post, my brother-in-law was in Ethiopia a week ago to bring his two children home.  My sister wasn't able to go because of her high-risk pregnancy and so he brought his sister along instead.  I am still waiting to hear all about her experience and am hoping that she will adopt from the same orphanage as well.  The picture books that I sent with them were delivered and apparently happily received by Nyah and Nate.  I am hoping I will get to see some pictures of them looking at them soon (Hint: Steve).  The books were filled with pictures of our family, home, pictures of them, their soon-to-be school, church, parks and town.  I was able to translate some of it into Ahmaric but I'm not sure it translated perfectly.  Either way, I think they are now at least a little familiar with their new family and they know that they are already loved and very much wanted.  That's my hope.  

(Nyah and Nate May 2011)

Is there anything you would like to know?  I would love to know what kinds of questions you might have.  I never know what people really want to know so feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.  Maybe it'll help motivate me to post more!

5 comments:

  1. That is awesome! Your family will continue to be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats for your progress!! You are so amazing!! Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about not getting those pictures to you yet. I have thought about it every day, but Steve just hasn't had a moment to really relax or do anything outside of work and basic family interaction all week! Poor guy. But I think he should be able to get those photos off his phone and onto the computer by tomorrow sometime. I'll send them to you once he does that.
    Love you so much! I can't wait for you to have your kids home. It's gonna be so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is the weather like in Ethiopia, are they going to Freeze out there in TN?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How are your kids doing with the waiting process?

    ReplyDelete